Return to Starling Playback Library

MovieClip auto disappear when alpha property is 0

Questions related to Starling playback library should be asked here.

MovieClip auto disappear when alpha property is 0

Postby Lê Huy Hùng » September 8th, 2015, 12:56 am

Like title, if alpha > 0, everything is ok but if alpha = 0, movieclip disappear, this is my demo, conversion mode is nesting, please fix it :D

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3f93q ... AF+bug.rar
Lê Huy Hùng

Re: MovieClip auto disappear when alpha property is 0

Postby vadym.mitin » September 8th, 2015, 2:52 am

Hi,

Let me explain a little bit about your issue. This is not a bug - this is a feature. :) During conversion process GAF Converter skips all the Movie Clip instances, that is hidden over the entire length of the Timeline (alpha=0 in ALL keyframes). This was done for performance optimization during playback in runtime (otherwise we need to manage hidden objects too and spend some CPU time to execute useless operations).

Right now we don't see any case when saving hidden Movie Clips in converted GAF is reasonable. If you can provide us a case when this become reasonable - we will be happy to hear it and take it into account.

If you need to hide/show some part of the GAF animation in runtime from a code, I recommend you the following workflow:
1) in FLA file make all the parts of an animation visible (alpha>0 at least in one keyframe)
2) in runtime use "visible" property to hide/show an animation part. I do not recommend to use "alpha" property to hide/show an animation part because an alpha change, applied by a code, will exist only in the frame, where it is applied. When playhead of the timeline reaches the next frame - the alpha value will be overriden by the value from *.gaf animation config. When you change "visible" property - applied value doesn't dissapears in the next frame. It exist during all the lifetime of an animation.

Hope this information will help you.
vadym.mitin

Postby Lê Huy Hùng » September 8th, 2015, 8:12 pm

Thank for your infomation, i understood :D
Lê Huy Hùng

Postby Gigi Marzullo » April 12th, 2017, 6:16 am

There should be an option to disable this "alpha=0 means frame instance not there".
In my project the animation needs to be variadic from keyframe to keyframe, if the instance is not there because alpha is 0 and we are right at a keyframe then I miss it completely.
I need to see the instance at that frame even if alpha is 0, because I might have to change such alpha for whatever reason in my project, if the instance is removed, then i cannot fulfill some use cases, being penalized.

At the moment I set alpha 1% from the IDE to fake GAF, haven't found a way to set 0.01% :( is there?
Gigi Marzullo

Postby Sergey Ionov » April 13th, 2017, 8:26 am

Hi Gigi,
we understand your problem and may include this option to choose "alpha=0" behavior in future versions of GAF.
As it was mentioned by Vadim earlier in this thread - This was done for performance optimization during playback in runtime. Otherwise we would need to manage hidden objects and spend CPU resources to execute useless operations.

And yes, decimals (0.01) are not supported.

Sorry, we can't really help you in your particular situation. I hope you can find the workaround for this.
Sergey Ionov

Postby Gigi Marzullo » April 13th, 2017, 11:32 am

Thank you for the support anyway, GAF is an amazing product and can truly allow exports to any platform.
I currently use it in the digital signage industry, not for games, that is why new use cases arise.
I hope you find time to add such feature, you must have a full priority list of stuff.
At the moment I set alpha to 1%, and that's almost acceptable for our workflow, not perfect though.
Gigi Marzullo

Return to Starling Playback Library